Safer Gambling Labs
Safer Gambling (SG) Labs bring together the expertise of the GamCare team, the lived experience of those who have recovered from a gambling problem, and businesses wishing to innovate in the field of safer gambling.
SG Labs offer an opportunity to test or receive feedback from such experts on an SG initiative, message, activity or process in a safe and structured way. This is part of GamCare’s strategic commitment to represent the voice of our service users, and to shape a safer gambling sector for all.
When to use an SG Lab
SG Labs are ideal for gathering intelligence on specific practices or initiatives from those who have lived experience of gambling harms. Examples of such initiatives include:
- ideas for a new SG tool to protect players
- appropriate language to be used in SG messaging
- the style and structure of interactions or interventions
- organisational harm minimisation strategies
How does it work?
Each SG lab is unique, dependent on the type of issue or issues that are being brought to the table for discussion. While the Lab will often involve a discussion group, it can also include a survey of GamCare service users or ‘mystery shopping’ site visits if appropriate. The following process serves as a guide:
- Business submits a problem or topic to GamCare for consideration.
- Working together, GamCare and the business establish a format for the Lab, giving thought and definition to: the question that the lab is intended to answer, the sources of information required to answer this question (e.g. focus group, survey), the most appropriate voices to represent (e.g. recovered problem gambler, affected others).
- The Lab is convened with the relevant information provided for consideration and the topic is debated in a round table format, with a pre-agreed agenda.
- GamCare produce a report on the topic, outlining key themes and recommendations arising from the lab, and submitting to the stakeholder.
We encourage businesses to share the findings of SG Labs. We appreciate that there may be commercial sensitivities around this, however we are happy to work with you on strategies to drive better knowledge and standards for safer gambling.
Submit an enquiry via the form below and we’ll be in touch to discuss your requirements. You can also download our Industry Services Brochure.