GamCare Industry Code for the Display of Safer Gambling Information – Websites and Apps
In March 2021, GamCare published a new Code for gambling businesses setting out minimum standards for the display of Safer Gambling information within gambling websites and apps.
Everyone deserves to have easy access to straightforward, well signposted safer gambling tools and support, in order to prevent the development of gambling problems or to ensure they can easily access support if needed.
This Code, developed in consultation with the Betting and Gaming Council (BGC), GamCare service users and a number of businesses directly, provides an outline of the minimum standards for the display of safer gambling information that the public should expect to find when engaging in online gambling.
Whilst it is not a legal requirement of businesses to adhere to this Code, adherence can be assumed as a commitment of that business to seeking out a better experience for customers. Members of the BGC have committed to implementing the Code by August 2021.
This video explains more about industry codes.
Areas of the Code
The Code covers the following areas:
- Placement of Safer Gambling information within website or app
- Safer Gambling messaging*
- Access to Safer Gambling tools or controls
- Minimum content requirements for Safer Gambling section or microsite
- Updating Safer Gambling information
- Presentation of content
- Self-excluding customers
*Note the Code does not cover messaging but seeks to make links between placement and messaging.
BGC members – compliance
Members of the BGC who operate gambling websites or apps need to be fully compliant with the Code by August 2021. This timescale reflects that longer-term developmental work may be required by businesses to ensure compliance with some aspects of the Code.
However, there are also a number of measures in the Code which can be achieved in the short term. Businesses are therefore expected to have commenced implementation and ensure best endeavours to implement various measures in the Code as soon as feasibly possible.
Safer Gambling icon
The Safer Gambling icon is now available for use by gambling businesses. When linking to the business’s Safer Gambling section or micros, businesses should use the Safer Gambling icon.
Instructions for use of the Safer Gambling icon
- The Safer Gambling icon should be displayed in GamCare indigo or a white version for use on dark backgrounds, as supplied.
- The Safer Gambling icon should be displayed on both websites and mobile sites.
- For websites only, a ‘hover over’ message is required to present the Safer Gambling icon. The ‘hover-over’ copy line ‘Safer Gambling Tools & Information’ message should be applied to appear once the customer hovers over the icon.
- The gambling business should take steps to gather information, for feedback in due course, on the most effective ways to position and contextualise the icon and link for customers.
Still have questions? Please email us at [email protected].
Download GamCare Industry Code
First edition of the GamCare Industry Code for the Display of Safer Gambling Information (Gambling Websites and Apps).